The biggest crisis in computer science today is the lack of a good crossword puzzle data format.
There are some existing formats:
- XPF Universal Crossword Puzzle Data Format
- Yet Another Crossword Data Format
– XML based, minimal redundancy, answers summarized in grid
– YAML-like (i.e. not YAML), more redundancy, no answer summary, online parser restricts to 15×15 or 17×17
There are also some terrible formats:
- Across Lite
- XwordInfo JSON – doesn’t even have a real name, and doesn’t deserve one. The format is full of redundancy, and is difficult to use. Example .json.
– BINARY format (!!) with “older TEXT version”. Enough said. The TEXT version does have no redundancy, however.
Special purpose formats: